Monday, August 31, 2015

Fishy rice


I was told when we moved here that there would be super high times...

...and some big lows at first and then there would be a period where you are not impressed AT ALL. I was told this was pretty much the given for most people. And then after that it starts to become the new normal and you begin the real settling in.

Or something like that. For anyone who's been through this I'd be fascinated to know how it was for you. 

Oh there have been highs! The HIGHEST! 

And OHHHHH there have been lows!! 

Like the water cooler bursting into flames in your kitchen kind of lows. 

Soooooooo anyway, now I think I hit that next phase full force. Not the normal time. (I hope that's coming quickly) 

I think I hit the not impressed part. I think I'm in the middle of it. I know in my head that I will adjust to this culture shock and it'll be awesome cause I REALLY DO love it here but Saturday I took a bite of steamed rice and it tasted like bad smelly fish and it made me want to get on a plane to Texas in a way that isn't at all rational. Every since that single bite of fishy rice I've been unimpressed. I'm tired of fishy rice.. I'm EXHAUSTED OF FISHY RICE! 


This is metaphorical people. Work with me. 

My soul aches for something to feel normal. 


My sweet "Team Thailand" partner, Rachel, sensed a disturbance in the force and text to ask how I was feeling. And I answered... 

"BLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. Nothing feels real or normal. It's all too hard or too weird or too amazing to be right." 

You know when a picture has been altered so much that it doesn't look real and even if it's pretty you can't stand to look at it? Cause your mind screams, "FAKE! ALTERED! NOT NORMAL!!!"


That's what life feels like to me now. Nothing feels average. Nothing makes sense. I know it will. I know that one day seaweed snacks and Halls cough drops as movie snacks won't phase me. 



I know I'll find restaurants where I don't gag on the fishy steamed rice. I know someday I won't physically ache from feeling so far from almost everyone I love. 

Life here is unbelievable. Amazing. Out of this world. And all the normal has been sucked right out for now. 


So I think I will have to find a new normal in my new technicolor world. 


I'll let you know how that goes. 

Love always, Angel 

2 comments:

Polkadot, Olka, Koka, Kokakola, Momma, Doll Face, Dorth Vader, Tink said...

Hope that you have found NON-FIshy rice ;-) love you Angel Face..

George Tindall said...

Love what you're here guys, keep it up!..
best retreat