Thursday, August 04, 2011

How I Survive Cooking :-)

Who has time to sit down EVERY week and make a menu and shopping list??? Not me! I needed to do something easy, inexpensive and gluten free.

Yes, I know some of you super moms love cooking and make culinary delights most every night. Yeah, that's NOT me. It's a good week if we don't eat hot dogs most nights. So if your in my boat then this might be the blog post for you. We aren't aiming high here... we are aiming right above hot dogs. ;-)

I created a rotating weekly menu that includes a shopping list for that week plus some basics I buy weekly. This makes it so simple to have enough variety without buying too much and ending up with a big grocery bill. I plan for 4 meals a week. A couple times we do leftovers or whatever. Then there is usually eating out once or twice.

Each of the recipes is simple enough that Zoe (12 1/2) can make them on her own or with a bit of help from me. As we get comfortable with these we will slowly add more options. I just thought I would just post it for any momma peeps that might want to tweek it and make it their own. I have found it makes my life SO much easier.



Weekly Menu

WEEK 1

Sloppy Joes and green peas

Tacos and refried beans

Chicken sketti and salad

Chicken tortilla soup and corn


Ingredients to buy-

2pd ground beef
Rotisserie chicken
Sloppy Joe seasoning
Taco seasoning
Tomato paste
Tomato sauce
Taco shells
Lettuce chopped small bag
Small sour cream
Frozen peas
Frozen corn
Refried beans
Spaghetti noodles
Cheese
1 can Cream of mushroom
Chicken broth
Salsa
Salad
Tortilla chips
Lemon juice
Pimento peppers
Bell pepper
Onion




WEEK 2

Nachos and salad

Spaghetti and green beans

Meatloaf and peas

Beef stew


Ingredients to buy-

4pounds ground beef
Beef stew meat
Tortilla chips
Taco seasoning
Cheese
Refried beans
Lettuce chopped small bag
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
Salsa
Spaghetti noodles
Spaghetti sauce
Frozen green beans
Meatloaf seasoning
Carrots
Potatoes
Beef broth
Onion
Salad


WEEK 3

Tostados and peas

Eggs and sausage and oven baked potatoes

BBQ potatoes

Chicken and dumplings and salad


Ingredients to buy-

1pd ground beef
Rotisserie chicken
Prepared BBQ
Tostado shells
Taco seasoning
Refried beans
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
Salsa
Lettuce- chopped small bag
Oven bake potatoes
Eggs
Sausage
Sour cream
Cheese
Potatoes
Pamelas pancake mix
Chicken broth
Salad


WEEK 4

Salad with chicken, walnuts and raisins- honey mustard

Chicken salad and salad

Chili

Cheese Quesidillas and refried beans and corn


Ingredients to buy-

2 rotisserie chickens
1 pd ground beef
Chili seasoning
Small bag walnuts
Raisins
Honey mustard dressing
Mayo
Sweet relish
Mustard
Salad
Kidney beans
black beans
Chili beans
Canned seasoned Tomatoes
Tomato paste
Can of corn
Mozzarella cheese
Sour cream
Corn tortillas
Refried beans
Frozen corn



WEEKLY

Cheese

Turkey

Tortillas

Beans

Cereal

Almond milk

Fruit

Peanut butter

Yogurt

Granola

Chips or granola bars

Eggs

Frozen vegetables

Protein bars





1 comment:

Dearest Jessica said...

Thanks for the idea. I make a weekly meal plan each week and feel discouraged when I don't get it done. We are not eating anything fancy...same over and over. I love to cook and try new recipes, but I am not in that season of life right now :) It's about keeping the kids fed and the kitchen clean!

I sat down this morning and wrote down all our easy go to favorites. Now I have a great rotating menu too. I can't believe I didn't think of this before! Thanks again.