Monday, January 31, 2011

One Day-One Lunch


The adorable blond chick in this pic is Addisyn. Her mom, Amy, is one of my best friends IN THE WORLD! I adore Amy and I adore her precious Addisyn.

One of the things I love about Addisyn is that she doesn't discount the value of doing something "small" to make a difference. She has a better grasp on this than most adults, probably including me.

I think a lot of us "grown ups" get caught up in feeling like if we can't give "enough" then what's the point?? We think our little nothing can't make a difference.... Let's see what Jesus says about that in Luke.

Luke 21
1-4Just then he looked up and saw the rich people dropping offerings in the collection plate. Then he saw a poor widow put in two pennies. He said, "The plain truth is that this widow has given by far the largest offering today. All these others made offerings that they'll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn't afford—

she gave her all!"



You see, God doesn't NEED us or our MONEY! Then why should we give at all??? BECAUSE!! He is giving us the opportunity to GIVE OUR ALL to HIM! He is giving us the opportunity to take a small part in His work. He is giving us the chance to hand over everything we are to HIM.

Like a toddler trailing behind his Daddy while he works... we are not there because Daddy HAS to have us there to do his work. This is our Daddy giving US the chance to learn and grow and BE WITH HIM!



The point is not how much we give. The point is to give EVERYTHING to God... anything less is saying there is a price on what our savior is worth to us. Only giving everything gives Him justice. Let's all give HIM everything we have. The rich people in this parable could not please Christ because while they gave much more monetarily they held back.. they didn't dig deep out of their deep and broken love for their Savior. Sometimes that digging deep looks big and sometimes it looks like giving our 2 pennies...


What I love about Addisyn is that she desperately wants to give HER ALL to Jesus. Check out this letter from Addi and tell me she doesn't bring joy to the heart of her Father.


Ever since traveling to Africa last March I haven't been able to get the children left behind out of my head. I wanted to do something- anything-I could to help them. But when you are 15 years old what you can do is limited- or is it? I decided to start with what I knew I could do- give the little I had.

So, I began to donate my lunch money. Instead of eating a school lunch, I brought a small bowl of the soup like what was given to the children at the feeding program we visited. I knew it wasn't much- but it made me feel close to them and it made me feel like I was making a difference- if only a small one. After awhile a friend of mine decided to join me in my efforts and she gave her lunch money too- which got me to thinking.

What if others joined in too- even just one day?

What if the body of Christ came together one day for one lunch and gave what we would have spent that day on our lunch away?

It only cost $3.00 to feed a child at the Adami Tulu preschool for ONE MONTH. Can you imagine what a big difference we could make by just giving away one days lunch?




On February 3rd in celebration of 100 days in a row of eating soup for lunch and donating my lunch money- I am writing to ask you if you would be willing to help?

I know all of you already do so much by adopting, giving, serving and praying for the least of these and I am so thankful for your example. But I would be so grateful if you would help me get the word out about the
One Day- One Lunch project by posting about it on your blogs and/or Facebook.

You can say it any way you want or if it's easier we have attached a post you are welcome to use if you prefer. You may also just link it to our families blog if that is easier for you where we will be posting about it on January 30th at
http://buildingtheblocks.blogspot.com/ . Let's get the word out and remind people that these children exist. Surely each of us can experience the hunger pains these kids experience daily for just one day- one lunch.

All donations are to be sent to Lifesong for Orphans and will go to the Adami Tulu Preschool in Ziway, Ethiopia.

If you are willing to help spread the word please let me know. Thank you so much for all you do!


Walking in faith~ Addisyn

TO GIVE Donations can be given online at: http://www.lifesongfororphans.org/donation.html- please indicate
it’s to go to the Adami Tulu Preschool.

Or mail checks to:

Lifesong for Orphans
PO Box 40
Gridley, IL 61744
Indicate for the Adami Tulu Preschool


WHO'S IN??? Anyone wanna join Addi? This girl gets it! What if we all gave everything even if that was only a little bit. What would that look like? I'M IN FOR SURE! If you love the idea please help Addi spread the word. Tweet, blog, Facebook, give... Hugs, Angel

2 comments:

Amy said...

We love you sweet friend- thank you for walking this beautiful journey in life with us. We are so thankful for you every.single.day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Angel for your sweet words and for helping us spread the word about the One Day-One Lunch project! Addisyn