Saturday, December 18, 2010

What will they remember?





Hot chocolate, Daddy reading out loud by the fire, talking about the history and birth of Jesus...




Jigsaw puzzles, giggling at our favorite movies....




Snuggling on the couch watching the Christmas lights twinkle...

These are some of the things that mean the most. They are the things my babies usually come back to as the things they love.

Why? Is it really the activities that mean so much? I don't think so. It's the way those things feel. It feels slow and safe and warm. It feels like family. It feels quiet and calm and comfortable. It feels like love.

The truth is my kids probably won't remember what they got for Christmas or even exactly what they did.

What they will ALWAYS remember is how it FELT... How I made them feel.

That's why I won't spend all my time running around having a crazy busy Christmas. Yeah, we'll do the fun shopping and running around but a good chunk of my time will be spent looking at those twinkly Christmas lights curled up with my babies.

Most of the time the moments that feel like love don't happen while we're running. Most of them happen in the slow motion moments when we stop and take time to cuddle, and read and breathe together.

This Christmas I wish you many slow cuddly moments with those you love.

Hugs, Angel :-)

8 comments:

Tara said...

Very well written Angel! I feel the exact same way...about all of life including with adults (as quoted on my blog):

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Oh...and how does it feel looking at your one extra stocking hung on the fire this year??? So cute...

I just CAN'T wait to have more than our 3 there!!!

Have missed you these past few months...but hoping and praying that your family is all settling!

Proud to call you my friend!

xox
Tsra

S. and Company said...

Great reminder!
Merry Christmas to you!

Darlene said...

ditto!!!
I will never forget the mornings of my children RACING down the stairs to see if, indeed, baby Jesus is lying in the manger so that they can hug Him...
it is amazing.
Merry Christmas.

Wendy said...

Amen! My memories o=are of the things I shared with my family, not the gifts I got. Memories are the best!!!!

Hannah said...

SO very true. My husband and I had this conversation before Christmas and we truly made Christmas about memories and not about gifts. I loved it and the kids will when they look back one day :)

Erin Moore said...

You know, dear - it's totally time to update your sidebar! I demand a new family photo!!! :-)

I hope things are going well!

Miss you!

-Erin

Keri said...

First time I've visited your blog! You have a gorgeous family & I hope everything goes well with getting your baby boy!

Katie said...

I just found your blog today and am so glad I did. I so appreciate your willingness to share yourself and exhort and encourage other women.