Sunday, July 04, 2010

The Price Of Freedom...




Here I am on the 4th of July!!! It's 8:30pm and we are starting to hear the fireworks BOOM around us. What joy to live the life we live... what a privilege to be free and safe.

Sitting here my heart is so full I could literally burst into tears at any moment. Why is that? Why can't I swallow? I guess I'm pondering freedom.


I'm pondering....


many of us treasure physical freedom but embrace spiritual slavery.


I'm thinking through the price of freedom- the price of my freedom- the price for others to be free...



Like the freedom of my son.


You see today I sent in an application to adopt my son. Today somewhere in Ethiopia an orphan's life changed. Today it was decided he would live. Today it was decided he would be safe, loved, educated, spoiled... Today his fate changed from being on the streets, or sold as a slave, or starved or abused. Today he was given freedom from bondage. Today EVERYTHING changed and he doesn't even know it. Oh, to KNOW his face already... to run to him and tell him what has happened today.



God has not left my son!!! I treasure the day very soon where he KNOWS this is true...

For He will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in His sight. (Psalm 72:12-14

It's not because of me that my son has a home. It's because of Jesus. Not so long ago I was a slave, an orphan just like my son! There was no way I could do anything right or good. All I knew was sin and selfishness.

But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. (Romans 6:17-18)


You see, I am that little one! I was the one trapped!! I was trapped in a life of selfishness and stuff and more and EMPTY NOTHING! I was a slave to myself, laziness, money, gluttony... While I was there completely unaware Jesus changed everything for me. Before I even knew who He was He changed EVERYTHING! He changed who I would be, where I would go, what I would do!


He is my Father now.







For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. (Ephesians 1:4-6)


God ADOPTED ME as His child. Without Him I am nothing. I was a SLAVE to sin. Now I am free from sin and because it is my heart's desire I am a SLAVE to whatever He asks me to do.... AND that is my GREATEST joy.


For my son leaving his slavery of being an orphan will be terrifying. He will walk away from his country, his language, his home to follow his Earthly father to freedom.


For me leaving my slavery of my own ugly sin is often terrifying. I walk away from my ease and comfort and predictability of life. I follow my Heavenly Father to FREEDOM!!



Freedom!
It's freedom to live this way!
TO LET GO OF FEAR AND TRULY LIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME!


I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.
(Psalm 34:4)



I praise the Lord for freeing me from that emptiness and fear. I PRAISE Him for changing my life from nothing to amazing. The freedom of this slavery to God's will is something I can not explain. I can only pray for you to know this kind of joy!

Much Love, Angel

5 comments:

Hope said...

Praise the Lord!!

olka said...

Precious

Scott and Carolyn said...

You are amazing!! I love how inspired I feel reading your blog! Can't wait to see your NEW family picture! :)

Lindsey said...

I just love you! I love your heart and you are so brave following into obedience and choosing to open your home again to someone who is in need. LOVE that!

Wendi said...

love the gospel through your lens. amen and amen.