Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why myjobchart.com ROCKS!

How do I love thee????
Let me count the ways!

I love you because my kids now know clearly what they should be working on at all times.

I love you because they are learning to manage their own time.

I love you because they are learning the value of earning money.

I love you because they are learning the value of items they believe they want.

I love you because they are now ASKING me to learn how to save and budget.

I love you because they now have a way to easily be generous all on their own.

I love you because I am discovering more about what is important to my kids.

I love you because I no longer feel guilt when anyone chooses not to do an earned activity.

I love you because you cut down on sibling rivalry.

I love you because my children do not feel we are obligated to do everything for them.

I love you because my children are more appreciative when we are generous now.

I love you because you text and e-mail me about my kids progress and rewards.

I love you because you just make my life simpler!

Oh myjobchart.com.... You ROCK my world! :o)


SO SERIOUSLY! About 6 months ago my friend Mollie told me about this site. It has been AMAZING!


Myjobchart.com is the top management tool in our home. It is a free on line service.

All the girls have access to computers so this is a much more effective tool for us than charts or chore lists ever were.

I have gotten asked so many questions about how we use this tool that I thought I would just post about it.

So all you have to do is sign up. Each of your kids will have their own section that will show their jobs. They check off the jobs they accomplish and get points for each one they finish. They can also go to a section called "extra jobs" if they want to earn extra points. Then they can go to their "store" and trade in their points for rewards.

As the parent you set it all up. You have complete control. You decide what jobs they have and how many points they get for each job. You can even decide if it's something they do only once a week or everyday or morning and night... whatever. Then you put in any extra jobs you want to be optional and how many points those earn. Finally you think up the rewards you would like to have set up for them to earn.

To help you understand this and get ideas I will list out our girls list. This one is Zoe's list. Kaitlyn's is very similar. Kaiya is younger and has a bit less.

The way I do things is about 60 points roughly=$1 in our little jobchart world. I give about 15 points for every 30 minutes of job accomplished. With rewards I calculate the cost based on the dollar cost to me and the time required of me. I also might throw in extra points if it's something I would really love to see them do! :o) The number to the far left is the amount of points earned.

EVERY DAY JOB LIST

PTS JOB
15 Review CC Cycle 1-30 Minutes
10 Listen To Bible On CD While You Play-15 Minutes
15 Practice CC Timeline-30 Minutes
10 Listen to Story Of The World While You Play- 15 minutes
10 Clean Up The Play Room
15 Practice CC Math-30 Minutes
15 Get Some Exercise/Play/Workout- 30 Minutes
15 Practice Phonograms-30 minutes
15 Language Arts- 30 Minutes
30 Math Work-1 hour
15 Grammar Sheets- 30 Minutes
15 Handwriting- 30 Minutes
15 Read A Library Book- 30 Minutes
10 Lights out- going to sleep at midnight
5 Brush Teeth
10 Clean bedroom
30 clean the kitchen
5 Turn on the dishwasher before bed
5 fix my hair
5 Get Dressed
5 Make My Bed
20 put away my laundry
5 Straighten my bathroom
5 Sweep the floor
5 Take Bath/Shower



EXTRA JOBS TO EARN EXTRA POINTS

100 Clean The Baseboards downstairs
10 Sweep the trampoline
20 15 minute massage
18000 MEMORY MASTERS! WHOLE YEAR
200 Memory Masters For One Week
100 Wash Windows
100 Clean and organize the refrigerator and pantry
150 Put all STUFF lying around in the proper place in THE WHOLE HOUSE
100 Pick up all trash in backyard and side yard
15 Read a chapter in a book
3000 Finish Curriculum Workbook

30 Clean the inside of the car
120 Take care of your little sister if mom asks- 1 hour


THE STORE WHERE YOU CAN BUY REWARDS (number to far left is how many points it cost)

60 $1= 4 Meals For a Child With No Food
600 $10 to Buy a gift for someone
30 TV Time
30 Video game time
300 $ 5.00
20 Phone time
20 Sweet Treats
50 cooking something with daddy
60 $1
300 Go to the Park
300 Sleep in
200 Skip a job
200 Picnic
650 Go to a movie and movie treat
500 Go Out To Eat
18000 Vacation To Six Flags
18000 Weekend at the Beach
500 Special Play Date With A Friend
90 Sleep with Mom
250 Ride Bikes
250 Rental Movie and Snacks
150 Stay up 1 hour later
500 EXTRA Mommy Special Date
500 EXTRA Daddy Special Date
15 Special Snacks
150 Special Field Trip
500 Pedicure
400 Request 1 special item from the grocery store for ONLY you
6600 American Girl Doll
1500 American Girl Doll Stuff- Around $25
600 Trip To The Zoo
600 Stay Up As Late As You Want
1500 Barbie Stuff - 25$ of stuff
70 A song for Mp3 Player
2400 Outfit to match my America Girl Doll- about $40
3900 Bitty Twins Stroller OR Carrier- $60
1800 Clothes Shopping With Mommy-$30
2700 Dress Up Costume-$45
180 Mickey Mouse Ice Cream- $3
500 Minnie Mouse Caramel Apple-$9
120 Disney Chocolate Marshmallow-2$
360 Disney Chocolate Popcorn- $6
3000 $50 DISNEY FUN MONEY!
6000 DISNEY LA NOUBA
4000 DISNEY Princess Dinner-Epcot
1000 Hair Cut
2000 DISNEY- Go to Disney Quest

Is this making any sense yet??? OK, let me go through the points and explain....


My kids now know clearly what they should be working on at all times.
I put everything they do for school and all chores on this list. I even break it down into time sections many times. Each of my children have timers they use during school to help organize themselves. This has helped them in becoming very self organized and driven. I only need to teach difficult skills or help with trouble areas. Everything else they do on their own. They know exactly what to do without me saying a word because of myjobchart!

They are learning to manage their own time.
I don't tell my kids what time they have to do anything. I make suggestions like,"If it were me I would do my hardest school work first when I wasn't as tired and save the easiest stuff for last." Then I let THEM make the decisions and learn from it. I have found that they very often take my advice! :o) I think it is great that they have accountability to get things done without me nagging them. AND if they don't do anything they won't have points to do anything fun. OOPS! BUMMER!! Guess I don't have to discipline anyone... they just disciplined themselves.

They are learning the value of earning money.

My girls are growing to love working hard because the value of it is already meaning something to them. They are already starting to get an understanding of economics.

They are learning the value of items they believe they want.

There is NO WAY my girls can earn all the things on the rewards list. I let them put WHATEVER they want on there and discuss with them the cost of each item. They struggle through making decisions on what they want now and what can wait till later. I have seen my girls making FAR wiser decisions with what they buy and how they use their time since they have been using myjobchart because they know the work that went into it.

They are now ASKING me to learn how to save and budget.

I ADORE the fact that my girls are coming to me asking for guidance in how to make savings plans to save for their favorite rewards. They will ask me what I think should wait till Christmas and what they should save for. They will ask me how much they need to save each day to reach a goal. We even discussed today the wisdom in having a cushion of points in their account "Just In Case" like Mommy and Daddy do. They have each decided they want to always keep 500 points in their account just in case something comes up last minute! Tonight we also wrote out each reward they are saving for and how much it costs. When they earn it they can cross it off and move to the next item on the list. I LOVE IT!

They now have a way to easily be generous all on their own.
We have shared with our children the importance of being generous and all that the Bible teaches about loving widows, orphans and strangers. I've talked to them about the heart of tithing. With myjobchart they can turn in points to provide 4 meals for children per dollar/60points to Children's Hopechest! When an e-mail comes through that they have cashed in their points I can just wait till we have 10 or 20 in an archived folder then send the money through Pay Pal to Hopechest! They can also spend their points to buy a gift or be generous to someone in need they see. I love that this lets them start following that prompting all on their own!

I am discovering more about what is important to my kids.
Now that the kids are thinking about things more carefully instead of jumping into every activity I am seeing which things they truly value. They are also learning that about themselves. While before they would jump to go see every movie that came out in the theater.... now we might wait for more to come out on video. I might have thought they REALLY cared. Turns out- not so much. Hmmmmm.... cool....

I no longer feel guilt when anyone chooses not to do an earned activity.
I used to feel guilty anytime I went through Sonic drive through for a drink because I felt like I had to get EVERYONE something. I felt bad if I took one kid to the movie and not the others. NOW I DON'T!!! They have plenty of points to be earned. When I go to Sonic I use my money to buy my tea and they can use theirs if that's important to them! If one kid REALLY wants to see Alice In Wonderland and the others don't care enough to earn the points then they know they made that decision. Once my kids got used to the way this works it was NO BIG DEAL!! They love it.

Cuts down on sibling rivalry.
The more responsibility you take on the more points you earn. Zoe has harder chores than KK cause she's older. So she can earn more points and therefore get more privileges. KK knows she has the option to ask for more responsibility or take on extra jobs when she feels ready. Since she can see that the extra rewards come from working harder it doesn't even phase her.

Text and e-mail me about my kids progress and rewards.

I LOVE that I know when the girls get their work done even if I'm out of the house. I love that I get notices each time they receive a reward. My girls are saving points for certain things they want to do at Disney. So whenever they have enough points they "pre-buy" the item. For instance... tonight Zoe bought a Mickey Mouse ice cream. So that I can remember when Disney time gets here I have a folder labeled Disney Rewards For Zoe. I put each reward e-mail in there so when the time comes I have it all there. I plan to print each one out for them to keep in their purse. They can redeem them at Disney. :o)


My children do not feel we are obligated to do everything for them.
My children EXPECT to earn many things for themselves. Don't get me wrong... these princesses want for NOTHING! BUT they know that they won't just get everything handed to them. We will always provide for their basic needs and more BUT any "you owe me" attitudes just won't fly.

My children are more appreciative when we are generous now.
Now when we suddenly say, "We are going to a movie and it's our treat! You don't even have to use your points... they are EXCITED! When we pull through Sonic and I buy them a drink from me they are truly grateful. It's definitely helped them value the things we do give them.

My life is simpler!
Enough said..... ahhhhhhh...... I only hope this will make YOUR life simpler too!!
HUGS! Angel

9 comments:

Tara said...

Hey Angel...thanks so much for mentioning this before as well. LOVE this post how you really get into the nitty-gritty of the jobchart.

A few questions:

Have you found a way to 'organize' the lists of jobs, extra jobs & rewards?

Do you allow them to get their reward on the Friday when the email comes that says 'pay day' or do you allow them to get their rewards each day?

About how many points do your kids earn in a run of a day/week?

I LOVE some of your ideas on Zoe's...the school. WOW...I think I need to have some time with you to pick your brain about how to manage my day for homeschool. I have all of my curriculum now and am beginning to plan what the school day will look like - I seem to be getting stuck here. I LOVE how you have THEM manage THEIR days. How do you know then that you'll get through your curriculum by the end of the year??? This is my biggest concern. I think I may be a little off when planning my day and may need some help, considering you said they know all what to do. I was thinking I would have to be with Noah for most of the day??? Hmmm... let me know when is a good time to pick your brain.

My biggest problem with Noah is that he is NOT on the computer that much...I have to push him to fill out his jobchart (and often he forgets). NOW....he had 'borrowed' money from us to buy his guitar for guitar lessons and has been slowly been 'paying us off'...big mistake. We won't be doing THAT again. LIKE, dah...what were we thinking teaching him to 'borrow' money!!!

Thanks again Angel....definitely going to bookmark this post for reference to update our jobhart!

Angel said...

Hey there Tara! Answered your questions I HOPE!



Have you found a way to 'organize' the lists of jobs, extra jobs & rewards?

No not really... I just put them on there in whatever order. If you find a great way let me know!



Do you allow them to get their reward on the Friday when the email comes that says 'pay day' or do you allow them to get their rewards each day?

My kids can cash in their rewards anytime right now.



About how many points do your kids earn in a run of a day/week?

Zoe can earns about 300 doing just her normal jobs. KK and Kaiya are a bit less. They can earn much more doing extra jobs.



I LOVE some of your ideas on Zoe's...the school. WOW...I think I need to have some time with you to pick your brain about how to manage my day for homeschool. I have all of my curriculum now and am beginning to plan what the school day will look like - I seem to be getting stuck here. I LOVE how you have THEM manage THEIR days. How do you know then that you'll get through your curriculum by the end of the year??? This is my biggest concern. I think I may be a little off when planning my day and may need some help, considering you said they know all what to do. I was thinking I would have to be with Noah for most of the day??? Hmmm... let me know when is a good time to pick your brain.

Well, I am NOT sitting with my kids doing school all day. Too much to do. No way. We may have 1 day every few weeks where I spend a lot of the day working on new concepts and seeing what they don't understand. The other days I just answer questions and oversee things. I think of myself as more of a manager. Give me a call soon. When is good for you? OH! As far as getting through the curriculum... we are on a year round school schedule. They seem to cook through curriculum VERY quickly. I spend more time finding more for them to do than worrying about them finishing. :o)


My biggest problem with Noah is that he is NOT on the computer that much...I have to push him to fill out his jobchart (and often he forgets). NOW....he had 'borrowed' money from us to buy his guitar for guitar lessons and has been slowly been 'paying us off'...big mistake. We won't be doing THAT again. LIKE, dah...what were we thinking teaching him to 'borrow' money!!!

If you start connecting everything he loves to it.... dessert... tv time... video games... playing with friends... a couple of times of you saying OOPS! Did you pay for that??? And I betcha he'll start keeping track. We've been there. LOL! ;o)

Love ya girl! Angel

Tara said...

AWESOME, awesome...love it. I'm gonna sit down and add a bunch of new items on his list of jobs & rewards to give him much incentive, hopefully once we are HOME all the time, he will have more time to update!

What are you doing Friday afternoon? Up for a chat???

Angel said...

Friday should be great. Call me. I'll just be packing up for a weekend away. We are going to a family wedding. Talk to you then! Angel

missy said...

i've been toying around with this site for months now, but you pushed me over the edge...i'm thinking about putting things on it such as "eat 2 servings of fruit/veg" am and pm.....or "exercise 30 minutes" or "drink 16 oz of water"...just reinforce healthy lifestyle. and of course junk food and sonic happy hour are part of the rewards just for balance ;o)

quick question????

what do you think about taking away points for behavior issues such as bad attitude, lying, unkind to siblings, unforgiveness...??? i know this is supposed to be used to motivate positive behavior through rewards as well as teach the value of working hard and earning money and privileges, so i'm a little undecided yet if it would wise to use it in that way as well. would love your thoughts or anyone else's.

missy said...

oops, forgot to have followups emailed to me so i don't feel like a stalker....disregard this post....submitted it for followup purposes....;o)

Angel said...

Hey Missy, I've gone back on forth on whether I take away points. Right now I just delay rewards. For example, kk comes and says I want sweet treats....I will say... I don't feel like letting you have that right now. Shell say why? I'll say cause you haven't done what I asked you too. That usually does the trick. :-) Hope it works well for you!

Angel said...

Hey Missy, I've gone back on forth on whether I take away points. Right now I just delay rewards. For example, kk comes and says I want sweet treats....I will say... I don't feel like letting you have that right now. Shell say why? I'll say cause you haven't done what I asked you too. That usually does the trick. :-) Hope it works well for you!

melodygreen said...

Just came across myjobchart.com and found your review while looking for ideas on how other parents use it. Thanks for the great ideas! I am curious what you have down for your 4 year old, as I am just starting to get a list together for my 5 year old. I'm hoping by kindergarten time in the fall we'll have more of a system in place. :) I have actually set up an account for me too... with items such as exercising 30 minutes/day or cleaning parts of the house. It is hard to get a routine going for him when I don't do so well myself! Do you find that your little one understands the points system? I am thinking of setting up a smaller system for my 5 year old... I think he could understand earning 10 or 15 points through earning 1 point at a time more than earning 300 points 10 or 15 at a time right now. But maybe I am underestimating him... or maybe I should just use the defaults to work on math skills too! :) Would love to hear any feedback you have. I'm thinking of blogging on this too when I get a little more time.