Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Learning To Love My Neighbor

"Love Your Neighbor."

That's what I'm learning this year... a kind of heavenly assignment I suppose.

In January I asked God what this year would be about for me. That is what I heard.
"Love Your Neighbor."

Predictably I asked God, "What does that MEAN? Do I need to take more cookies next door?"

God gently pointed me toward the story of the Good Samaritan.


Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead.


Now by chance a priest was going down that road, and when he saw him he passed by on the other side.


So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.


But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion. He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, 'Take care of him, and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.'


Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?" He said, "The one who showed him mercy." And Jesus said to him, "You go, and do likewise."



Then I got it...


my neighbor is someone You place in my path.


Am I so busy on my own chosen path that I don't notice the people all around me? Or worse, do I ignore their pain because I am busy doing good things? Am I so busy that I don't notice if my daughter is sad. Do I not care enough if my friend can't pay her medical bill? Am I clueless to the family in our church that has no groceries? Do I skip over the blog post where someone is raising money to adopt?


I don't need to go searching for people to serve, love... God has placed them all along my path.


Jesus didn't come to Earth and physically heal everyone alive. He poured Himself out for those God placed in His path every day. Whether they are in my neighborhood or across the world- there they are... somehow on the same road I am on.



So I don't want to hurry along! I want to stop and hug my babies, buy the groceries, help pay the medical bill, participate in the fundraiser.

So that's what I'm working on this year. I'm trying to intentionally walk this path of life God has given me with my eyes scanning to the left and right. I'm always trying to check the periphery for wounded.

Today some wounded came along my path. These are some precious little ones from India.

Some of them have mothers who are trapped working in brothels. Their mothers were trapped or sold into this life and now their precious babies are born into the trap. To be born into that feels unthinkable to me.
They are in a wonderful little orphanage where my friends are visiting on a mission trip right now. Turns out, school in their area starts on Thursday where they live but they don't have money for tuition YET.
I would love to help these little ones go to school. I think it's important they know someone loves them- that God loves them.

I guess I was wondering if any of you wanted to help me with this little mission- with these wounded on the side of our road. It's $407 per child for clothes, supplies and tuition. Even if we raised money for one of these little ones to go to school this year... well that's huge... that's giving them the ability to read and write. Maybe that's what saves them from the horrible trap of sex slavery.


The thing is, school starts Thursday! So I'm just gonna do what I can to love my neighbor. Thank you so much for helping me. Please feel free to repost this or spread the word in any way God lays on your heart.









WHAT IS GOD TEACHING YOU THIS YEAR???



I would LOVE to hear your heart!

Hugs, Angel

4 comments:

Hope said...

Your heart blesses mine.

Thank you so much for still believing God can use you to do something radical in the world.

God bless your endeavor and don't ever lose faith in the power of God and what he wants to do through you!!

Lindsey said...

I think that YOU rock the house. I am honored to be getting to know you and watching you grow and having you help me grow. It is beautiful. Powerful. HOly. And I am truly honored.

Jaime And Drew said...

Great way to see and recognize all the things that God puts in our path!!! Jaime

Darlene said...

Oh wow. Slow down and look in your path...
what a phenomenal post.