Monday, February 08, 2010

Thoughts on Romans 8:14-17

I have a sweet friend facing a trial... going through pain. When asked to share scripture this is what came to mind. Most likely because this is the journey I am on- what I am learning. I just thought I would share that journey with you too.
 
Romans 8:14-17 (English Standard Version)
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him

I love this scripture. Here's what it has always meant to me.

God doesn't give me a spirit of fear which makes me into a slave but does allow me to walk into places that cause me to cry out to Him, "Help me Daddy. I can't handle this." I am adopted with rights as the "heir"- the first born son. I am given everything by God. I am His.... yet this requires that I suffer with Him as He is glorified. God does not identify pain as something to be avoided- which tends to disturb me greatly- rather as something to be embraced for the glory of God.

Just some of the things God has been showing me that frighten me and bring me deep peace all in one breath. Much love to you as you suffer well my friend. I pray for peace that passes ALL understanding and strength far beyond your own as you lean into your Father.
Angel

5 comments:

Shonni said...

What a sweet and encouraging post and so true about pain...I would rather face it with HIM than without HIM.

Holly said...

I totally miss your blogging girl. Facebook and Twitter (which I don't use) are not the same!!!
more Angel thoughts please :)

Joanna B said...

I have read you blog for two years now, and I always find your posts so convicting. You were the one who inspired us, and convinced us that we really could switch our NSN adoption to SN. And we accepted our referral last week!

Greta Jo said...

You have such a way with your words... I too miss reading your post. Welcome back!

traceylynndel said...

Thank you so much for that verse. I too am going through a trial I would never wish on anyone. This verse touched me tonight where I needed it. I struggle to let go of my fear and run to my "Daddy's" arms. The love of my Father God has been so much more real to me during this time than any other time in my long Christian life. I never could see God as loving me before. Verses like these have so ministered to me and shown me the true love of the Father. Not just that God so loved the world, but that God so loves me, a wicked sinner. Thank you for sharing with us again.