Thursday, April 09, 2009

Risking It All...

All of us take risks in our lives, some are big and some are so small I doubt if we even realize we are taking them.

We might risk lending a hand to a stranger not knowing if it will be appreciated or offend them… We might send our money to a ‘cause’ and not know if it ever got into the right hands.

But we know that each time we ‘step out there’ God knows too and it is always worth the risk if your heart was in the right place.


Always.


Life in general is a risk- because if we fail- if we fall, there will be pain. And sometimes the fear of that pain keeps us stranded- afraid to move. But as I look back over my life and all of the risks we have taken- some ended up working out and some ended us up in a place we never wanted to be… Yet through it all God was there by our side, holding us through it, knowing that we knew He was always worth the risk.



God doesn’t always promise us a happy ending, but He promises that He will never leave us. And when we are finally able to stand again we can look back and see how we have grown and changed and slowly, ever so slowly we begin to heal…


One of my dearest friends wrote the segment above. It is such a deep truth that so few of us even want to understand. It's a truth I fought for years. It's a truth I still struggle to embrace.


We want God to be a safety net- He's not.
We want God to make sense to us- He doesn't.
We want a life serving God to be easy- it isn't...


God is so much more than what we want Him to be in our frailness.

A God we would create would never suffice. When we live the way God truly calls us to live I can GUARANTEE it will NOT be comfortable.

If you are too comfortable in your life then I would beg you to take a second look... God calls us to live beyond ourselves in a way that the world deems crazy.

When I start getting the "people-think-I'm-crazy" vibe I figure I am probably on the right track.

What we want to hear is that we will take the big risk for God and it will all end with a "happily ever after." Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. The trick is knowing deep in our souls that whatever the outcome- it is ok.



Our lives just aren't about us anymore. If we are truly Christians then our lives are about becoming like Christ-about bringing glory to God. That doesn't always involve our comfort. The Christian life brings profound joy, peace beyond understanding, love beyond our humanness, deep relationship...but it does not bring a road map or a warranty or always a happy ending.



God does not promise a comfortable road but He promises that as we walk it we will never be alone. Though we may not understand, may never get it..though we may feel powerless and incapable...we are never alone. We are always immeasurably loved and always held.




8 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks my friend. Love you too! :0)
Amy

Alice said...

Thank you for such insight. I always enjoy your pouring out of your heart.(even though it tends to step on my toes and my heart).

Tessa said...

Oh how I miss your posts like this Angel! You truly inspire me with your challenge to get "uncomfortable" for God! You have been such an instrument in my life and adoption ... and I thank you for pouring your heart out before us. I don't want to be hanging onto the balance beam ...

Holly said...

Amen sister. Well written.
I have so clung to the balance beam before...for YEARS actually.
I have changed and am being changed even now. I think that we are often so afraid to get banged up and bruised that we don't engage. But what's on the other side of the bangs and bruises is better than anything we could imagine!

Erin @ T5M said...

ooohhh I love this post and I love that video...so true and so timely for me.

BIG thanks!

Wendi said...

..."but I don't want to go where the majority goes..."

that's good stuff, friend...and that is SOOO me, trying to fake a dismount at the end...lettin' go of that beam is COURAGEous! (doing it afraid)

thank you

nancy said...

THANK YOU
i have been getting some "crazy" comments lately from people and actually started second guessing some things that i was pertty sure God was calling me to do.. thanks for the clarity--i might have to use some of this if you don't mind...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just love this video, and I have enjoyed your blog. Now, I will have to contemplate where I am on the beam, I don't think I am going to like it....

Liz