Thursday, February 26, 2009

Teaching my girls about Godly sex!

I don't know about you... but figuring out how to educate my children about sex in a Godly way was intimidating the crud out of me!!! As Christian parents Russ and I want our children to learn about sex in context of what we believe.

We believe that God made sex a beautiful gift to be shared only in a marriage relationship. We also want sex to be an open and comfortable topic in our home. Sex is a tremendous blessing and we don't want our kids to feel weird about it or be afraid to talk about it. We want them learning about sex from US and not Hollywood's demented version or from friends who don't know anything either.

We also believe that adoption is something God values so highly that He chose us through spiritual adoption and chose adoption for His own son Jesus.

How in the WORLD was I gonna find a book to help me explain ALL that??? WELL I DID!!! This book is precious and amazing. It covers creation, God's plan for love and marriage, God's plan for sex AND God's plan for adoption!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? It's AWESOME!

It has two sets of writing. The big words are written for younger children and give more basic information. The little words go into more specifics. This book is amazing! My children love it. Kaitlyn (5 1/2) and I have gone through the portion with the large print words. Zoe (10) and I have gone through all the info. They were both very comfortable with the way the info was presented and it has helped me feel more equipped to handle the topic well. Anyway... I thought I should pass it along since I love it so much. Here are the links to Amazon for this book and some others that I ordered. I am using them all and like them.



http://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Way-That-Babies-Made/dp/0764223410


This one I got for Zoe. It goes through all aspects of personal care for young girls entering puberty. It is terrific. Very glad I got it for her.

http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

I have read this to Zoe and Kaitlyn. I think it's a great book as well. It presents the information in a different but great way. I find it helpful to have both books.

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Was-Born-Gods-Design/dp/1600060145/

I actually didn't order this book but have heard it's great. It's made for younger children. I think like 3-5yrs old... not sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Me-Gods-Design-Sex/dp/1600060137/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I ordered this book to use in the near future with Zoe. It addresses many questions she may have about sex from a biblical perspective. I have looked at it. In talking to her she still is very unaware of many of the issues addressed so we won't go into it yet. We'll address things as we go. It's handy to have it here though. I'll keep all these books close at hand and make sure I keep sex an open and comfortable topic with my girls.

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Big-Deal-Cares-Design/dp/1600060161/ref=pd_sim_b_2

GOOD LUCK talking about S-E-X with your kids!!!! Hope this helps. :0) Angel

20 comments:

Julie said...

OMW. That was the book my mom used for me. How funny! I actually think I still have it somewhere. Will have to dig it up.

Sara said...

I am so glad you made this post. I was just telling a few people the other day that I had NO CLUE how to begin this topic. I knew I would need a book to guide me (and our oldest). Thanks for sharing these titles...I will have to check them out!

Misty McKibben-Melvin said...

Another good one is "A Chickens Guide to Talking Turkey With Your Kids about Sex". Touchy subject....Maddy is 12 and learning it now.....it makes me sooo nervous. 4 Seventh graders were pregnant in her class (they were't her friends) but it still makes me nauseated to think about it!!! Thanks for the tips on the insightful books!

DawnS said...

Angel, thanks so much for posting this information. I have been thinking about how and when to approach this with my 9 year old and the information you have given here will help me start.

Tara said...

OMW....I am SO happy you had this post. JUST yesterday, Noah & I were reading his devotionals - he began asking one question after the next and it was leading into the S-E-X talk that I am SO not ready for. I am gonna order me a pile of books....thanks so much for pointing these one's out!

The book 'The Care & Keeping of YOU' - do you know if there is one intended for boys? I'm going to look on Amazon.ca (as we can not order from amazon.com)!!!

Thanks again....so glad you are one step ahead of me on this one (it saved me the research)!!!

Tara

Darlene said...

First of all, I am so glad to read another one of your great-passionate-good-advice-filled-posts! Your exhuberance is contaigious friend (I totally butchered that spelling. oh well. anyway...)

Secondly,
We have "The Story of Me" and it is precious! Caleb really relates to it (age 3). I HIGHLY recommend it. It is very truthful and also very sensitive.

We have also started adding this to our nightly prayer routine, and I think this is sooooo important (particularly for young boys in this culture, but certainly girls as well):
"thank you for making Caleb a boy. Thank you for making Christian a boy. Thank you for making mommy a girl,and daddy a boy. Thank you for giving mommy and daddy to each other to love. Please bless Caleb and Christian with someone to love who loves You, Jesus."

Since we started that, we have seen a burst in Caleb's masculine pride. SO important these days, since men are being bashed around every corner.

hmm. maybe I need to do a post on this......
thanks, you inspirational thang you!

Darlene

Amy said...

Thanks for the resources.

I think it's amazing that you are so thoughtful about 'girl' issues with your little ones. What a great mom!

Rachel said...

I came to your blog off of another one...the post title is what brought me over here. I have worked with orphans overseas and one of the little girls I worked with had a question (along those lines) that I did not know how to answer in a way that would be age-appropriate. I will definitely have a look at those books! Thanks!

Wife to the Rockstar said...

Great post. We have several of these books.

Thankfulmom said...

Angel,
I have to say that your post title caught my attention! Great job with your girls, and thanks for the book recommendations. Watching my children grow older and having deep discussions with them is the best. Love my teens (and one who is 21)!

Lisa

Reba said...

Thank you so much for the book suggestions. I have always been willing to talk to my kids about this topic, but it wasn't until this past year that my oldest (10) even started to ask questions. I am glad to have some resources though. The last time I was asked a question, I made it clear that it is a beautiful gift from God for a husband and a wife. I want them to know that God has definite guidelines about it in His word but that it is a gift from Him too.

K said...

I am soooo excited for this book! I can't wait till it comes...I went straight to amazon and ordered it. Thank you for the recommendation...a book that includes adoption with the rest of it? Awesome!!!!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely have to check these out.

My daughter recently came to me with her Bible, wanting me to explain a verse to her that had the word virgin in it. I explained the verse the best I could, but no- she wanted to know more about the specifics of the word "virgin." Obviously, that opened a big can of worms. To make a long story short, as I reached the end of the explanation, she goes, "Oh. So I'M a virgin, then." I said, "Yes, you are." Then she goes, "YOU are definitely NOT a virgin." HA!HA!HA! I guess she said it that way because I've had five babies, but it sounded like she was calling me a tramp for a second!

wife.mom.nurse said...

I used the 1st book you mentioned when the kids were younger.

Then I got the 2nd on your list for my little girl at about age 9 1/2.

I really like both of them.

Flamingo Mama said...

thanks for the suggestions!!! i just ordered two! here we go....yikes!

Louisiana Belle said...

My parents talked to me about the birds and the bees using that book, too! I think it was the start of a very healthy view of this gift God has given to us. Good for you keeping dialogue open (age appropriate, of course) on this subject in your home!

Paul and DeeDee said...

Hey, I just wrote a post on my blog about toddler computer games. Do you mind reading it and giving me some feedback with what you use for kaiya....do you use time4learning with her already or something else? and do you have a special mouse/keyboard for her or does she use the real deal? ok thanks!

AJS said...

Thank you for sharing these titles. My oldest daughter is 4.5 and although she hasn't asked questions yet, she definitely is interested in babies and pregnant bellies. I am sure "where did they come from?" is next!

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

I just found your blog and am enjoying browsing through it. We have some things in common :)

The Morgans said...

Thanks Angel!! I have read The Story of Me to Abigail and it is really good, but I think I will order that first one too!