Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I stink at juggling.

Soooooo every time things seem like they are going to slow down something else hits. It's all little stuff when you look at the big picture.... Start a not for profit, travel to China, return jet lagged from China, add a wild and wobbly toddler from China who may die if you don't watch her every second, toddler gets stitches on first outing, Russ' busiest busy season EVER, Zoe starts 3rd grade and freaks out cause it's a new building and much harder, prepare for Kaiya's surgery, cancel surgery (YAY!), immediately evacuate as a hurricane is hurtling toward your home, return home and discover your 9 year old has been TERRIBLY disobedient for 3 weeks and you had NO CLUE!


Yes.... no clue. This disobedience was serious enough that it warrants pretty strict discipline. This discipline requires strict enforcement and oversight by MOMMY! Ahhhhhhh..... yes..... because I needed ONE MORE thing right now.


I keep waiting for that "new normal" to hit. There are days I think it's maybe here but then WHAMO! Something dunks me back under the water and I find myself doggy paddling again.


I don't mean to sound like a whiner. I don't want it to come across as if I am not loving my life. I am! I adore Kaiya, Kaitlyn keeps me giggling daily, Zoe is my sweet darling, my husband is my everything, my extended family is amazing- life is good. Each of those good things I love separately. Together I just can't seem to juggle it quite yet. I feel like if life could just slow down for awhile this would be easier to get.


We are going to make a real effort to SLOOOOW life down. Still though- most of the things in that list were not things we could have or would have changed.... it's just my life. Lately my life is fast and furious. Looking forward I THINK things are about to get easier but I don't want to count my chickens... ;0) Keepin it real. It ain't all roses, Angel

10 comments:

melissa said...

Thanks for keeping it real. I love your reference of being thrown in the water and doggy paddling! I can totally relate. I too love my life, but sometimes it is hard to juggle and balance everything life throws at us.

Reba said...

Oh, girl. Have you read my blog from this past weekend? It was one I wrote trying to be real but then got only one or two comments on, and I thought, "People must think I am crazy." :) And some days I feel like it, crazy that is. :) I love my life too. But it is not easy. Maybe if I went the permissive route, but then I call that credit card parenting (meaning I would pay later). I like life to be slow. I really do. Right now it just isn't. I cannot change much about it. But it is nice to know I am not alone.
Reba

ellie said...

Angel,

I can sooooooo relate :) I do have to give you the encouragement that in the past month or so I have gotten to the place where I am at peace with the "juggling"!

You will get there soon :)

WashburnWife said...

I honestly believe that juggling life's chores is a learned skill. With two in junior high and both playing sports, I completely feel your pain. At times I have the skill at times I don't. I also have had a little girl (now in junior high) that also warrants some pretty serious discipline. They are so angelic and then..BOOM, the are crazy! It's like they loose their minds in an instant. I have to keep it real with you by warning you it can get worse but, I also can encourage you and tell you that loving her through it will draw you two closer. I will be praying for you and Zoe as well as your juggling skills.

Mandy said...

Fall is a great time to slow down and just breathe. Hoenstly, I couldnt handle everything you do as well as you do it. I only deal with me (no husband and kids) and seem to have some trouble doing that. Remember to love what is and that there is no such thing as "normal." :-)

Laura said...

Angel
I really struggled the first year with 3 kids - I know many have more than 3, but for me the transition from 2 to 3 was REALLY tough! Ultimately I did have to re-define normal, as I found I had to adjust my expectations of what I could do now! Praying for you as you work it all out!

Tessa said...

"Small things"? HELLO?!?!?! I think I would classify them under "BIG" or maybe "HUGELY SIGNIFICANT"! I am hoping you were being sarcastic ... LOL! Again, thanks for keeping it real ... I will continue to pray for some peace to enter your life in some way or another ... :0)

The Engelhardt 4 said...

Thanks for being so real. Sorry that you are having to 'buckle' down with Zoe. That's a bummer... Be safe in your travels this weekend and good luck slowing life down!!

Wife to the Rockstar said...

We all have hard seasons. I am in one! I totally underestimated how hard having two toddlers and a newborn would be, add homeschooling and I am about to rip my hair out.

You are not alone. HUGS.

Kristen said...

I hear ya! I think once you add kids to the mix, there is no normal ever! That's my experience so far . . .