Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

A good name is more desirable than great riches, and loving favor is better than silver and gold. Proverbs 22:1

Something happened yesterday that really upset me. Like REALLY upset me. I am not sure how to handle it. Well, there is really nothing I can do. I just have to let it go. It's weird... I have handled this adoption so well... then I had this thing happened and it felt like a swift kick in the gut! First we lost our sweet Droopy Dog and then this. Maybe it was just too much for one weekend.

Earlier this year Russ and I had planned a trip to Disney World with the girls for Feb. It was going to be my present and Zoe's present for our b-days. Well because of finances having to do with a certain adoption of our cutie patootie Kaiya and issues with taking time off we needed to cancel it.

So I decided to find a place at that beach we visited back in October that is close to us. I am sure you remember it. Anyway... I am not going to put down any names. I don't want this to be a mean post. I am just so sad and needed to get this out.

Well I found this condo that I loved and contacted the owner about whether she would be interested in a long term relationship. We would stay for a certain amount of weekends per year and she would give us good rates. She was SO excited and so was I. For me this was literally a dream come true. I felt like God was blessing us as a family through this precious lady and the ability to get away to the beach. Since I was a little bitty munchkin I have dreamed of being able to do that.

Soooo this weekend was supposed to be our first trip for Zoe's birthday. I have talked to the owner many times on the phone and we have e-mailed a LOT. She was even sweet enough to mail me a square for Kaiya's quilt and leave a present for Zoe in the condo. Isn't that great?

Since she had some open days she offered me an amazing rate for last weekend. So I called up a couple of girlfriends and we did a last minute trip up there with no kids. It was so nice and relaxed and I could not have been more thrilled. I told Zoe and Kaitlyn that they would get to go next week and not to worry. ;0) They have been talking about it and were so pumped up.

When we left the condo we were SOOOO careful. I wanted to be very respectful of this lady's condo. We made the beds. We cleaned the pots and pans by hand. I even went through and picked up little pieces of hair off the floor with a tissue so that it wouldn't be messy. I dusted off the couch and fluffed the pillows. Now there were a few frozen glasses of virgin pina colada that were in the freezer. We never got to them and they were frozen so we could not throw them out so we put them in the sink so they would be thawed for housekeeping. We were paying more for housekeeping than for a night there so I had no inkling that this would be a problem. When we left the place looked almost perfect. In fact we were joking that the housekeeper would be very happy to have an easy job.

I was so excited about the situation that I was telling everyone. Several of my friends and my momma were going to be calling to start working with her too! We were all LOVING it.

Then yesterday we got a call saying that we were going to be charged an extra $35 because housekeeping said there was no damage to the condo but it was extremely dirty. WHAT?? I did not care about the $35 but I was very upset that we were being falsely accused. They contacted my friend so she told them exactly what I told you. We were sure that it was a mistake and that they would call back and say they had the wrong room or something. Even so I immediately called the owner to tell her the situation. She didn't answer so I left her a message.

About an hour later I recieved a 2 line e-mail from the owner saying based on this report she was canceling all our trips including the ones we payed for. (they are refunding our money of course) I was SHOCKED! Thinking maybe she had not gotten my message I wrote her back a very nice e-mail. I thought for sure she would call me or write back but she has decided to terminate our business relationship. We called back and forth with the management company. We begged them to please drive over to see it themselves. They said that was not their job. I would have driven there myself if I had known early enough. I would have taken video proving it was clean if I had known. There was nothing I could do.


So I had to tell Zoe we could not go to the beach for her birthday present because somebody said mommy left it dirty when I didn't... I am so incredibly hurt and confused. What is going on? Why didn't she even hear me out? Just the night before we chatted for about 15 minutes on the phone. A housekeeper who makes money off of the place being really dirty claims that it is with no proof and without even hearing my side she cancels a long term contract that would make her a LOT of money. Not to mention how many of my friends I was rounding up for her because I really liked her and her place.

I am deeply hurt and spent quite a bit of time last night bawling my eyes out. I just hate that there is NO WAY for me to prove that this is all not true. I don't know what happened. The place was not even cleaned the day we left. I don't know why. So I guess someone could have gotten in with the code. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What makes more sense is that the housekeeping staff likes to claim messier rooms because they make more money. BUT I don't know that either.

I need to let this go... I am just disappointed and so sad for Zoe and Kaitlyn. This was a big deal for our family. We were all ready for this. I never would have done anything to mess that up but it doesn't matter. I am guilty till proven innocent. It stinks.


I am not going to be angry... I know that when things like this happen we can choose to be angry or we can learn from it. I am going to choose to learn from it. I am going to forgive the person who falsely accused us though it cost us a lot. I forgive this lady for not giving me a chance. I know she must have been very hurt by someone in the past if it is hard for her to trust. I am very sad but I will just have to get on with it. Thanks for listening...er...reading. I just needed to get it out. Hugs to my buds.

:0( Angel

7 comments:

Dimple Queen said...

First of all, I am very sad about your little Droop Dog. I will continue to pray that the Lord protect her and if it's His will, she come back to eagle's nest.

Second, about this lady and the room....that is terrible! If I were in charge of a place like that, for one, the housekeeping staff would get one flat rate unless they had PROOF that the place was wrecked! That's just bad business to "take their word"...a good way to get ripped off if you ask me. As far as your name getting smeared.....I hate that for you, but you know that it was not true, and although that makes it more difficult, you are right that you have to let it go. But it is always good to get it all out! I am sorry this happened to you all, and will pray that the girls can understand that it was not your fault, that someone wrongly acussed you!

Praying for you!
Angie

Sarah said...

I hope everything works out with DD too Angel - my (6 yr old) son so loved the pictures of her!

I can hear your pain and your dissapointment for your kids. That totally sucks but also does not make sense?

If you already pay for house-cleaning then a few glasses shouldn't be a problem right? If it were me, I'd send her an email copy of your post, it pretty much outlines everything you are thinking and feeling about it.

She does sound a little unreasonable though, in that she really didn't tell you exactly what was so dirty. Do you really want a contract with someone with so little trust in others?

I'm hurt for your too .. can you find somewhere else in the short term to take your family for a little weekend getaway?

Valerie said...

That is rotten! I'm sorry that it happened, but at least you can move on with a clean conscience on your end, knowing you did all the right things, and that you were able to tell the truth to your girls and explain it to them. God will open up a new window for you, just you wait and see.

Valerie said...

That is rotten! I'm sorry that it happened, but at least you can move on with a clean conscience on your end, knowing you did all the right things, and that you were able to tell the truth to your girls and explain it to them. God will open up a new window for you, just you wait and see.

Princess D said...

Oh, the last few days sound rough. I first read the post about little miss Droopy. My heart sank and it makes me sick with worry to wonder what is going on in Guatemala right now. I have been worrying sick about a little boy I know of and am hoping that all of these children caught in the middle will be watched over and protected by God.

I know how you feel about being wrongly accused. That sucks and it's heartbreaking when you want someone to know you are telling the truth and they don't want to hear it. You know in your heart and in God's eyes you are an incredible and giving person. I truly believe that other people like you know this just based on your energy and the way you present yourself alone. You can't let this hurt you. It's so easy to let it but you are so much more and so much greater than this. I am sorry that they choose to see the situation this way and are hurting Zoe in the process. Hugs to Zoe and wishing her a Happy Birthday however you end up celebrating.

Diana

Amy said...

I hate that you are going through this. It is just wrong and I am so disappointed that something like this could happen. I'm thinking about you and even though I don't have a beach in my backyard (we do have a small creek if that makes the offer more attractive Hee/Hee) we'd love to have you come for a little weekend get-a-way to our house! Who needs a condo with anasty housekeepers anyway! ;0) Amy

chioma said...

I was v. sad when i read this, because I know how it feels when u just want to prove your innocence and can't. I am however learning how to let go..It may be painful when u think that someone has a wrong impression about u , but sometimes its not worth trying to prove otherwise.. All the best with your lovely family