Thursday, July 19, 2007

Well, you asked for it!!! :0)

I found this on Jocelyn's blog. I think it is really good. One thing I learned during our adoption process is that we are extremely wealthy. I never knew we were. I used to go to Mexico and tell Russ how strange it was that all these people think we are rich. Well, I have news for you. YOU ARE RICH! Are you reading this post on a computer while you sit in a cushy computer chair or on your couch with a roof over your head and a food in your belly? Then you are RICH!

The following article explains what it is like to live in a third world country. Being in the cushy circumstances we are in... it is difficult to fathom what it is like to live in most of the world. Sometimes when Zoe explains her old life to me she shakes her head and laughs. She says it's so strange. Even now it's hard for her to believe that is what life is like.

If you think this is an exageration just ask my little Guataprincess. It's not...

1. Take the furniture out of your house: leave a few old blankets, a kitchen table, maybe a wooden chair. You've never even had a bed, remember?

2. Throw out your clothes. Each person in the family may keep the oldest suit or dress, and one shirt or blouse. The head of the family has the only pair of shoes.

3. All kitchen appliances have vanished. Keep a box of matches, a small bag of flour, some sugar and salt, a handful of onions, a dish of dried beans. Rescue those moldy potatoes from the garbage can: those are tonight's meal.

4. Dismantle the bathroom, shut off the running water, take out the wiring and the lights and everything that runs by electricity.

5. Take away the house and move the family into the tool shed.

6. By now all the other houses in the neighborhood have disappeared; instead there are shanties - for the fortunate ones.

7. Cancel all the newspapers and magazines. Throw out the books. You won't miss them - you are now illiterate. One radio is now left for the whole shantytown.

8. No more postman, fireman, government services. The two- classroom school is 3 miles away, but only 2 of your 7 children attend anyway, and they walk.

9. No hospital, no doctor. The nearest clinic is now 10 miles away with a midwife in charge. You get there by bus or bicycle, if you're lucky enough to have one.

10, Throw out your bankbooks, stock certificates, pension plans, insurance policies. You now have a cash hoard of $5.

11. Get out and start cultivating your three acres. Try hard to raise $300 in cash crops because your landlord wants one-third and your moneylender 10 percent.

12. Find some way for your children to bring in a little extra money so you have something to eat most days. But it won't be enough to keep bodies healthy - so lop off 25 to 30 years of life.

THIS is what life is like for MOST of the world. While I sit on my chubby tushy talking about how STRESSED OUT I am. I NEED Starbuck's cause I'm so tired. That coffee cost more than what most people live on in a DAY!

Ohhhh... my house is getting too old or small. My back is sore from sleeping on that durn bed. I really NEED one of those matresses that conforms to my back.

BLEECHHHH! I just wanna barf! What is wrong with me?

Here is what the Bible has to say about it

1 Timothy 6:6-12

Now godliness combined with contentment brings great profit. For we have brought nothing into this world and so we cannot take a single thing out either. But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that. Those who long to be rich, however, stumble into temptation and a trap and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all evils. Some people in reaching for it have strayed from the faith and stabbed themselves with many pains.

But you, as a person dedicated to God, keep away from all that. Instead pursue righteousness, godliness, faithfulness, love, endurance, and gentleness. Compete well for the faith and lay hold of that eternal life you were called...



WOW! Notice please that it says the LOVE of money... The bible says NOTHING about money being evil. To the contrary- the bible says wealth is a blessing. It's when we LOVE our wealth that we stumble. It's when we are NOT CONTENT that we stumble. BUT IF WE HAVE FOOD AND SHELTER, LET US BE CONTENT WITH THAT!!!!! CONTENT!

con·tent 2
adj.
1. Desiring no more than what one has; satisfied
.

When I LOVE my money I want MORE MORE MORE!!!! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEEE!!!! GIMMEEE GIMMMEEEE GIMMMEEEE! YUCK! I disgust myself.



Right now there are 2.5 MILLION people that are homeless in and around Darfur. BUT.... I don't want to give up my clothes allowance to give cause' you know I really NEED another shirt. GEEEE WHILLIKERS I ONLY HAVE 30 SHIRTS! I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ONE!

GIVE ME A BREAK! GAG.

What does it mean to LOVE money? Well, here are some definitions of love...

love: Noun

An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.

A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.

The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.

verb.
To have an intense emotional attachment to: loves his house.

To like or desire enthusiastically: loves swimming.

To thrive on; need: The cactus loves hot, dry air.

An intense emotional attachment to something.... I like that one. Do I have an intense emotional attachment to money? Would I throw a fit if I didn't have as much money as I wanted?

There's nothing WRONG with money. There is something WRONG with me. AND PLEASE don't tell me it's okay to want nice things. I might gag. I'm not saying we should all live like paupers and sell everything. You've seen my house and life. We aren't in NEED by any stretch. I live a wonderful, comfortable life. Most people in the world would say I live in the lap of luxury. They would be right. I DO! I am so grateful for the blessings God has given me. BUT I AM SO DONE LOVING MONEY!

What would happen if everyone who reads this blog QUIT loving money? It would change the world. Maybe you think that's crazy but it's not. We all have a LOT of money. Hopefully you see that. If we all truly quit loving it we wouldn't need to keep so much of it for ourselves. We could think outside ourselves and the STUFF we want. If we didn't love stuff so much then feeding orphans in Darfur would be more appealing than a new skirt. Helping a poor, single widow in Columbia start a business to support her family would sound better than buying a new leather chair. Maybe we would dig a well for a village in Africa instead of getting the big screen TV. Maybe we would adopt a child instead of getting the new car this year.

If we quit loving money it would change everything. I think I'm ready. Are you?

Here's what's going on outside our bubble. Let's do something!

Please don't let young children watch this video but please take the time to watch it.... this is what's happening TODAY. It made me weep.




9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

well said!!!

Bekah said...

it's not okay to desire nice things when children are starving all over the world. love this post. i am with you. i am so often disgusted with myself...desiring new clothes when none of my current clothes have holes in them and their are people who don't have a home. ugh. thanks for challenging me again today to open my eyes and not be ignorant of the world and need around me.

Melissa said...

Thank you for this post. I too find my self wanting more, wanting a bigger house, newer car, etc. Please keep posting - it is a reminder and encouragement to all of us. It reminds me of the quote (although I can't remember the author) "Live simply so that others can simply live" Ok - I love quotes, so here are a few more :)

"The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service of others" -Ghandi

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

ale said...

That is why being a practicing Christian can be seen as dangerous to the current world order. It challenges consumerism and the way we relate to "others". What is so beautiful about the Gospels is that they remain relevant and current, no matter what. They continue to make sense.

Tom & Caryn Meverden said...

Angel~
I have been a long time lurker of your blog. I was really moved by this! Would you mind if I publish some of your latest post on my blog if I credit the source??
Please let me know.
~caryn

Farrah said...

I started thinking about this very same thing this morning...I hate that it is the way it is....

Krystal said...

This post just hit me like a ton of bricks. . . I've really been hating myself lately for wanting more, more, more and for having wasted so much money that could have really made a difference. I think I'm ready to quit, too.

wendi said...

I am sad...my heart breaks for those precious babies - so harmless and yet so harmed, for their grieving mommies who can do nothing to stop the pain...Lord, break it up.

A Special Family said...

Amen
You know what I find now that I live abroad? I can't believe how much North American's think they need. They buy buy buy buy and then buy some, whether it's clothes, toys, bottles, baby equippment, books, food....waste waste waste. Also most of this stuff is made on the cheap, especially the clothes - that on the cheap means slave labor for someone in a third world country.
We are part of the problem!
We need to start to say NO. I can get books at the library, I can make food from scratch, my child only needs a few toys.
There is a great organization called War On Want! You'll find some stats there!