Friday, April 13, 2007

The Voice Of Adventure


Just in case you ever wondered why my blog is called "thevoiceofadventure" here goes... Years ago, ummm 7 years ago I think, Russ and I were making BIG decisions in our life. We had been married a couple of years at that point and we were trying to figure out what we wanted our life to look like. We both had BIG, HUGE dreams! People looked at us like we were a little bit NUTS on a regular basis!! We would tell them our dreams of going to MBA school, adopting children and living overseas and a BUNCH of other stuff. Many people would give us this "aren't you sweet little children" look and figure we'd grow out of it eventually! Fortunately we also had people who supported us in amazing ways and helped us feel we COULD take those leaps of faith. It was tough though. We knew the path we were pondering would not be the easiest. One day I was visiting my grandparents with my momma and sharing with her our struggle. My momma said she really felt that I needed to read her devotional for the day by Max Lucado. Reading that devotional was like reading a blue print for my life. It was everything in my heart written down on paper. I immediately called Russ to share it and he was just as speechless about it as I was. That day I made copies and framed it. Russ has kept it on his desk since then and we have had it on our frig for most of the last seven years. This version is a smidge different but almost exactly the same. This is now our unofficial family creed. I am honored to share it with you.

_

The Voice Of Adventure

_

Max Lucad0

(He Still Moves Stones)

_

There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it.
_
Jesus says the options are clear. On one side there is the voice of safety. You can build a fire in the hearth, stay inside, and stay warm and dry and safe. You can’t get hurt if you never get out, right? You can’t be criticized for what you don’t try, right? You can’t fall if you don’t take a stand, right? You can’t lose your balance if you never climb, right? So, don’t try it. Take the safe route.
_
Or you can hear the voice of adventure—God’s adventure. Instead of building a fire in your hearth, build a fire in your heart. Follow God’s impulses. Adopt the child. Move overseas. Teach the class. Change careers. Run for office. Make a difference.
_
Don’t listen to the whines of those who have settled for a second-rate life and want you to do the same so they won’t feel guilty. Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.
_
Sure it isn’t safe, but what is?
_
Luke 17:33 Whoever seeks to save his life loses it, but whoever loses his life preserves it.

8 comments:

The McKenzie Crew said...

You know how I feel about that devotional. In October 2005 - God used that devotional to change our lives....forever....

Now TWO - I mean three lives have joined the circle of our family's love since that day...


WOW - God is so amazing!!

I am honored to know you and blessed to call you friend.

Mountains will be moved and children's lives all over this world will be changed because of your courage and heart.

You have thrown a big pebble into the pond of life...
How cool will it be to see all of the ripples and the impact this makes...

Always follow the voice of adventure my friend..I will be there cheering you on:)

Julia:)

Bekah said...

I also LOVE that devotional. My husband and I have received the 'aren't you sweet children' look so many times and when we officially announced we were adopting people thought we had lost our minds. I am so thankful for the women I have met through the blog world and cherish all of the support and love I receive from all of you. You are an amazing woman with a beautiful family!

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing that today - it's just what I needed to read! I'm always in awe of your amazing connection with God and your insights at His plan for our lives!

Jane-Jane said...

God's messages, always just on time! I look forward to sharing this with my husband!

Bekah said...

wow, can I ever relate to slow lawyers and complications with the U.S. Embassy. It is driving me batty that we wasted 5 months on getting a DNA test done and it is overwhelming to think how long we have waited and how far we have yet to go. It's nice to know that you have been there. It sounds like you all are doing a fantastic job for Zoe with home school...I have considered home school many times but have a few years to make a decision. It helps to hear other's success stories. I am filing all that info away in my brain for a few years down the road.

Emily said...

This is the first time that I have seen this devotional. I am printing it off right now for my husband to read. This fits our situation right now perfectly. Thanks for sharing! I was so glad to read about your positive home schooling experience. I will be home schooling our daughter starting this fall and I love to hear about all the positive things people have to say about their decisions to home school.

jeneflower said...

I need to thank you for this post. So perfect.

stephanie said...

thank you for posting this quote. it is exactly what i needed today...given our current situation....

http://www.sammibag.typepad.com