Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Girl Like Me- by Kiri Davis

Please give me your two cents on this documentary and the topics discussed. It's about 7 minutes well spent. I want to know what you think. I think it is important for all of us to see. ESPECIALLY if we are raising children of a different racial background. That said, we all need to see this. First- when I watched this, it made me want to cry. Now I don't think this test was run exactly the way I would love to see it run. I would have loved to see lots of ages, races, and a lot more children tested. I also think you have to be careful of the way you ask questions.
_
REGARDLESS, I believe that she is bringing up some very real issues. The insight and talent of this teenage director is wonderful. It WILL make you think and that was the intent. It makes my heart ache for these little ones.



One of the things that stuck out to me is the fact that one girl interviewed said it bothered her that she didn't know her roots.. I was thinking that I have no idea what my heritage is REALLY. It's some mix of a bunch of European places I THINK. However, I think what I hear her saying is that she doesn't feel a sense of purpose or direction in her heritage because of the trauma in her family's background. It's a feeling of not knowing what her culture really is. Of course this is just me reading into it in all my naive glory.
_
I think purpose and direction are such a key difference for all of us. Purpose is what allows people to do anything. A man will run in front of a bullet during the heat of battle if he feels he has purpose. Take away that purpose and he'll shrink inside.
_
I can see why it would be hard as a culture to develop that purpose and direction quickly when all rights and freedoms are stripped away and then given back- kind of and slowly. For generations to be treated in such an abhorant manner. It's beyond comprehension.




I love what is said in the second show discussing the documentary. It is up to US to change this. We have all got to make an effort to reach beyond ourselves and our racial identity. I DO believe we can change this. It's going to take time and purpose but it is vitally important. Want to change the world? Change this and you change our country.



I think there are very few of us who want children growing up in a world where they think their color is not okay. I believe that the only way we can truly have "equality" in our nation is to BREAK DOWN the walls on BOTH SIDES. Embrace each other. No more- what color is the child I am adopting?...that might be hard. No more-what color is the person I have a crush on?... what will my family think? NO MORE! The power our country would have if we weren't divided... it would be staggering. If we weren't still struggling against each other what could we accomplish?That is the kind of place I want my grandchildren to live. So despite the fact that I am a little bit scared I am going to try to do something about it.
_
Is it controversial? Heck yeah it is... Anything that means anything is hard, scary and almost always "controversial." I'm okay with that, even if I am a little scared. (

3 comments:

Lou- Http:\\waitingforannepearce.blogspot.com said...

Our country has A LOT of changing to do. We can start with our daughters and teach them to love themselves by showing them that we love our bodies. I know I have some work to do on this one. Since I had my heart surgery I have gained about 20 lbs. I always have issues with that, and even my boys have told me to quit calling myself fat. I don't want AP being as body obsessed as I am. I want her to love her tan skin and see how beautiful it is...... This definitely makes you think....All those precious brown children choosing that white doll made me SO sad!

Crystal said...

ooh my goodness my heart was breaking when they were all choosing the white doll--I couldn't believe it--I had no idea it makes you think--

Angel I am scared too--no need too he has this all in his hands and he will lead you every step of the way!!!! hugs!!!!

Lucinda Naia said...

I'm thinking about adopting a biracial child (who even knows what the correct term is these days - mixed, transracial, biracial?). It pains me to think about how I choose NOT to use race when I describe people, and yet race is a question we face EVERY day of our lives. I decided a long time ago to focus on the person and it doesn't matter if my child is Caucasian, Asian, African, or anything in between. What does matter is that our children are walking, talking tape recorders. When adults have friends of different races, it sends a powerful message to our children about equality. So, if you want to do something about creating a "blended" society, a good place to start is in YOUR friendships. After all, your children will do what you do - not do what you tell them to do. Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soapbox... it's a delicate issue and sometimes I get too passionate