Friday, March 23, 2007

Adoption #2- the update

OK so it's going slowly so far... which is fine with me right now. Here's how it has gone so far.
_
Monday March 5th- I called the agency/pregnancy center. They were great. We chatted. They said they would mail me the first packet.
_
Wednesday March 7th- I recieved the packet. It contained all their information and the process. It also contains all their rules and procedures. We agreed with everything so I called and asked to proceed. They said they would send the second packet.
_
Monday March 12th- The packet still wasn't here. I called to make sure they sent it. She said they did and to call back if it didn't arrive.
_
Friday March 16th- The packet still hadn't arrived. I called again. She is shocked. She mailed it herself. It's a mystery but she mailed me another one. Very sweet lady.
_
Monday March 19th- We recieved the second packet. It was a screening packet. They asked some questions about our family and ourselves as well as our belief system. We needed to answer certain questions about the types of children we are open to adopting. We also sent in two pics of our family and two of our house.
_
Tuesday March 20th- I went to the post office first thing and mailed it.
_
Wednesday March 21st- I called the agency to let them know to watch for the packet and let me know if it didn't show up. They said that when they recieved it we would be evaluated. If it is determined that we are a good match for their agency then they will contact us to set up a meeting. At the meeting they will discuss with us the process at a deeper level. We will be asked to take a couple of days to be sure that this is what we should be doing and then call them and let them know. Then we will proceed with the process. I asked how long it usually takes to be "evaluated." She said it depends on how busy the lady in charge of that is. She said usually a couple of weeks. So I figure we will hear from them around April 6th.
_
So here is the deal. I love the way they do this. They lay everything out on the table. You know exactly what they think and believe. You know the rules and the processes before you sign on for it. They seem to really have their act together. With our past experience we had a lot of surprises about the system and the rules after we signed up and paid money. I have a new found appreciation for this kind of process and clarity!
_
It isn't happening at lightning speed but I am beyond peaceful about that. Boy have I learned the hard way about trusting God's timing! I am in no hurry but I am NOT dragging my feet. When I get something to work on I get it DONE but when I don't have anything I feel fine about it. I feel confident that God already knows who our next child is going to be. I don't want to work against that. I see clearly how God brought us each of our children. I don't doubt it will be the same this time around!
_
The only thing I feel a teensy twinge about is being "evaluated." I feel a little silly about it but I guess it always feels weird to be examined. I know they are just looking for what is a good "fit." We want that too. Still, it would be sad if they were like, "Ummmm, we'll pass thanks!":0( That's just my raging insecurity talking. Hee hee.... I gotta get over that. Cause' that is all in the plan too!!!
_
My goal for this adoption is to be so different from who I was last adoption. I don't want to be a raving lunatic, control freak, crazed irrational momma. It's no fun for me or anyone around me. Seriously, I was such a wreck. It was wild. I want to do so much better this time around. I want to be obedient to God's voice and trusting His timing and His plan. I want to be unswayed by the circumstances and my lack of control. That is not an easy thing for me but I know it is one of the most important things I will learn in my life. Here is my goal...
_
Philipians 4:4-9 NLT
_
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
_
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

_
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.

_

I hope all of you will help me remember this as I go through the process. It's easy to say here at the beginning. Many of you know all to well how tough it can get in the middle of things!

5 comments:

Lou said...

Angel,
I think this second adoption will be much "easier" on you, because you know before hand the feelings you will encounter. The first go round we're all on pins and needles, because we didn't know what to expect. You are great about giving things to God, and you are right. He has already chosen your next child. He put the desire in your heart to move forward with this, so you would be ready when he/she is born. Aren't you doing domestic this time and getting a newborn? I know that God will bless you for this attitude!

Love and hugs!

Shannon said...

I LOVE Phil. 4:4-9!! I had to memorize those scriptures for school many years ago. They have always stayed with me!!!

Betsy said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You'll probably go nuts AGAIN. It's okay. You've got friends that will help keep you together. :)

All kidding aside. I do think this time around will be a tad easier because you've already been through hell and learned some good coping mechanisms. And, domestic is a faster pace, I think w/ less uncertainty (or uncertainty in a "different" way).

RE: being "evaluated". Take a deep breath. You are beautiful on the inside and outside. Just continue to let the BIG light SHINE! You have NOTHING to worry about.

Tricia said...

Angel,

Will you please pray for me and for my Sofia in Guatemala?? I am struggling sosososo much lately.

I also want to be obedient to God's voice and trusting His timing and His plan. I also want to be unswayed by the circumstances and my lack of control.

I am weak. I am tired. I miss my daughter. I pray that the Lord would bring glory to Himself through our adoption and I need to continue to lay things at His feet.

Praying for your evaluation & giving glory to God for the things He will do.

Kris and Mindy said...

I will be praying for you during your "evaluation" and I am sure you will be the PERFECT "fit."
Many Hugs!!!!